Thursday, December 20, 2012

Battlefoam sadness


Hello, 

I thought I would give an email out to follow up on my battlefoam bag. I finally got it in the mail today and I was SUPER excited to have it. However there are a couple things that are making me a little sad about the case: 


The dimensions: 

I know that this was a point of major discussion when I was purchasing this bag but my issues with the dimensions are really confusing to me and they are as follows: 

1. Side to side - stuff fits WAY too snug side to side. The full tray has to be jiggled into place to properly get into the bag and the half trays really need to be contorted to properly go where they belong. This is going to make retrieving minis less than fun. I find this really odd because this isn't a feature that I can mess with by getting too much foam or something, its something that comes standard and can't be altered. Leading me to wonder why it's so snug. If they were to add a 1/4 inch (possibly even less than that is needed here) it would be perfect. 


2. Height - this is the one I was super worried about and it is infact very snug top to bottom. However, based on the preview that they had shown (7 layers of their own foam and a foam topper) I should have had a little wiggle room, especially when you consider another one of my gripes below, but these foam trays barely fit without a foam topper. I am also only actually 6 layers deep (meaning I should by all rights have a 1/2" for foam based on their math and preview video) But I have none, no give at all. 


3. The foam - So I get my small troop 1/2 tray out and start filling it only to realize that it is UNDER 1.5" including the bottom. Not including that its a touch over 1.20". This isn't normally an issue but I have a couple small based models that ended up needing to go into a medium troop tray because their base (with some out cropping bits of wood or whatever) wouldn't fit. But would have easily fit in an actual 1.5" tray. Also, my raiders have many pointy bits sticking out that would have fit had there been another 1/4 or more inches there. It isn't much but when you have spikey things that you have painted this difference is going to mean lost paint and more complications getting them out of the bag. 


So issues 2 and 3 combine to give me a great amount of pause. How is it that you fit seven layers of foam (which I assume you took into account your own rules of size constraints) and a foam topper when I can't even fit 6 layers and a foam topper and my layers are smaller than the measurements given on your website. It is somewhat mind boggling. 


4. Kraken tray - This thing is going back to them and I am getting my money back for it. There is no way that my kraken is fitting in the foam. It is too short (which is really saying something) I would love to see a normal kraken fit in this foam but mine sure as hell doesn't He is also too big horizontally. The back of my kraken comes too far back and the front of him doesn't go forward enough. Basically, because I centered him on my base he doesn't fit the foam and because I decided to tilt my main cannon up higher than the default pose it doesn't fit vertically (more than 1/2" too high). So I am really stuck here. I have no idea how I am going to safely transport my kraken in the future but for now sadly I must stick to the box :( 


Honestly, I feel like I got a bad bag or something, I have seen other people use these bags to great success or maybe the bag on wheels is just bad. I have only seen the people at the club using the normal carry bags so maybe thats what is happening. However, no matter what it will result in a phone call to them tomorrow. I think that I would rather send it back and keep my current setup than pay 200 bucks to get something that really doesn't actually fit my minis very well and is just kinda "meh". I upgraded to get an upgrade not a sorta upgrade sorta downgrade. 


If you guys wouldn't mind I would love to hear your thoughts on what might be happening here. I am going to take some pics when my phone is charged more so that I can give a few more visuals to go with the words. 


Thanks for listening to my rant/review (this will all be on my blog once I get the phone charged)  


Also, here are some pictures for examples of what I am talking about. I hope they help. I will be calling CS tomorrow for help from BF and hope they are able to help out. 









No comments:

Post a Comment